Many of us are just as nervous about our trigger-happy police force as we are about the uptick in violent crime.
My key proposals are:
- Conduct a nationwide search to replace acting Chief Arradondo with a reformer from outside the MPD;
- Pass and implement a CCOPS law;
- Higher standards for ‘resisting arrest’ charges and re-evaluation of apprehension methods;
- Institution of a mandatory spoken statement similar to the ‘Miranda rights’ statement that informs citizens of their rights in any situation when an officer asks to conduct a search without a warrant;
- Full disclosure and information security audits of any police databases that contain information about citizens who have not been accused or convicted of a crime;
- Refuse any participation in federalized policing – among others, this includes ICE activity (continuing the “Sanctuary City” policy) and terrorism investigations that deploy spying technologies;
- Re-introduce a proposal to require individual officers to carry professional liability insurance;
- Elimination of paid administrative leave in cases where police are investigated for violent encounters with citizens. Acquittal would bring a payout of accrued salary during a leave period, rather than the current system where the public pays for a vacation for accused officers.